amandla.mobi is looking for a detail-oriented, strategic thinker to join its team as the Operations and Finance Manager.
*Deadline for online applications is extended to midnight Tuesday, 25 July 2023. Applications must be submitted through our online application form.
This position will be fully based at the amandla.mobi offices in Kensington, Johannesburg.
Black women, members of the LGBTQI community and people living with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the role
The Operations and Finance Manager role is for a detail-oriented strategic thinker, who will actively participate in the management of amandla.mobi. The job incumbent will oversee operational activities at every level of the organisation and ensure fiduciary and organisational compliance responsibilities are met. This role reports directly to the Executive Director.
About the organisation
amandla.mobi leads campaigns that build real power for Black people, with a particular focus on low-income Black women. We challenge injustice by bringing together our community in critical moments to take targeted, coordinated and strategic action to bring real change. Our work is to connect people so that our collective voices have maximum impact and power to hold political and corporate interests to account and advance solutions that build a more just and people-powered Mzansi.
The amandla.mobi office is based in Kensington, Johannesburg. The successful job incumbent will need to be able to work from this office 5 days a week.
- Formulate strategic and operational objectives aligned with the organisation’s mission and goals.
- Improve operational management systems, processes, and best practices to enhance organisational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Building and maintaining productive and positive relationships with service providers.
- Manage the organisation’s operational budgets, ensuring efficient use of resources.
- Maintain personnel files, including preparation of contracts and leave system management.
- Oversee the management of amandla.mobi facilities.
- Proactive problem-solving and looking for opportunities to improve the office environment.
- Manage all recruitment and onboarding in the organisation.
Financial management and reporting
- Work with senior management to approve and track the organisation’s budget, as well as campaign and project-specific budgets.
- Oversee, manage and coordinate statutory and project/funder-specific audits.
- Manage the organisation’s bookkeeping using accounting software.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls.
- Analyse and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, including collating financial reporting materials for donors and overseeing financial project and grants accounting.
- Provide timely and reliable financial information to the board, senior management and external stakeholders.
- Prepare financial information for board meetings.
- Manage payroll.
Compliance, control systems and procedures
- Ensure compliance with and, when necessary, implement changes in line with South African law.
- Ensure financial compliance with CIPC, SARS and other bodies in order to maintain the organisation’s good standing as a Non-Profit Company with Public Benefit Organisation (18A) status, including supervising the issuance of Section 18A certificates to donors.
- Monitor and approve all tax and benefits registrations and requirements, including submissions of annual returns to tax authorities.
- Take responsibility for the completion and submission/filing of all statutory forms (including UIF, SDL, COIDA, CIPC, etc.) in a timely manner.
- Devise effective and efficient financial systems and ensure adherence to policies and procedures to improve engagement with internal and external stakeholders.
- Review, update and maintain the organisation’s Finance Policy as necessary.
- Maintain sound fiscal and accounting policies and procedures.
- Review and interpret new/updated accounting policies and apply approved recommendations.
- Supervise all team members and service providers responsible for the security and maintenance of the organisation’s facilities.
- Build, supervise and mentor an effective operations team.
- Human resources support.
- Jointly lead process improvement initiatives and staff development, which may include team/organisation-wide training.
- Carry out other duties from time to time that may reasonably be required and that fall within the scope and range of the job.
- Provide ad hoc support to non-financial colleagues by interpreting financial data for campaigns.
- Demonstrate amandla.mobi’s values in all professional relationships.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience
- Proven track record in managing finances and operations in the non-profit sector.
- Experience in non-profit financial management, including donor-specific, compliance and reporting.
- Ability to work at both a detailed and strategic level.
- Experience working at a supervisory level.
- Ability to optimise workflow.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to and effectively collaborate with colleagues.
- Experience in preparing schedules and other documentation for annual audits and liaising with external auditors.
- Ability to adapt to and learn new software.
- Ability to work efficiently as a part of a team, as well as independently.
- Ability to think critically and logically and analyse and identify underlying principles, reasons or facts.
- Strong ability to plan, organise, prioritise work and multitask under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency with sharing and collaboration processes.
Big pluses include
- Good level of understanding of and the ability to use Xero online accounting software.
- Tech skills and internet savvy. Specifically, experience with tools such as Google Drive, Slack, cloud-based project management tools and Zoom (or similar). A nimbleness with tech and the ability to quickly navigate online programs.
- An eye for detail and document formatting.
Salary: R480,000 to R532,000 per annum, depending on experience.
In addition to the salary, the following benefits apply:
- Financial: Group risk cover which includes life cover, income continuation, mortgage protector and education protection.
- Non-financial: Training opportunities.
- An interesting and dynamic workplace like no other.
How to apply
Applications will close at midnight Tuesday, 25 July 2023. Click on the apply button below to complete the online application and upload a comprehensive CV. If you have any queries, please email [email protected].
Please do not send CVs to [email protected]. We will only process applications through the online application form.